Panasonic Gx1 maybe but with what lens?

Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
junyeu
Regular MemberPosts: 227
Like?
Re: Panasonic Gx1 maybe but with what lens?
In reply to Herbalist, Nov 16, 2012

Herbalist wrote:

Hi folks. I am looking at getting a m4/3 camera as a backup/lighter weight one to my DSLR. I've read around quite a few websites in the past week or so and I'm heading towards a Gx1 I think (though happy to hear other views!) because of a combination of size/quality/reviews. Sadly I'm not in OM territory.
However what is far less clear to me is what lens to team it with and I've not found any really good sites so far to help with this. A natural distrust of kit lens started me thinking and the new small 14-42 lens does seem to have some quality issues even if the size is attractive. I'm quite tempted with the older 14-42 however the 14-45 lens seems to get better reviews and I'd prefer the best quality of images available for my bucks. I realise there is a price hit however Panasonic are currently offering £50 cash back deals so if I bought the lens and the body I would actually get 2x cash back which would help.

Maybe worth mentioning that - mostly - landscapes are my thing
Thoughts/pointers much appreciated - TIA
Herby

I agree, the e-pl5 is probably a better choice in terms of maximising iq from the system. Handling is a different story though, I would give that to the gx1 but it's rather subjective.

The thing with this m43 systems is that it's rare to find a 'bad' lens since the sensor is relatively small. It's one of the supposed benefits of the sensor size, having decent sharpness throughout the frame. Even the 'cheap' kit lenses have comparable sharpness to the primes most of the time with the maximum aperture being the biggest difference.

If you're in it for the small size, the pancakes are definitely worth looking at, 14mm and 20mm. I'd skip the pancake zoom for the reasons you mentioned. In terms of zooms, the 9-18mm olympus is tiny for a wide angle, while the 7-14mm gives you slightly better iq and a constant aperture but you lose out on compactness.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow