Entering the world of FX - Which nikon should i get?

Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SohoAperture
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
Entering the world of FX - Which nikon should i get?
Nov 16, 2012

Hi Everyone,

After using a D5100 for a long while (in program modes) I want to take the next step and upgrade my camera.  I originally decided to opt for the D7000 or its replacement (once released) however the more i think about it I would maybe prefer to splash out and get a full frame DSLR.

Naturally whilst i can still use my DX lenses (with the camera in cropped mode) I realise that i will need new lenses to get the best out of the camera and will probably go for either the 24-70mm or the 24-120mm and possibly the 12-24mm when finances allows (I already own the 80-400mm so the 70-200mm would be my last buy)

My main interest is street photography & wildlife so which body should I go for?  Naturally i could splash out and get a D800 which looks fantastic although i have slight concerns about the size, the high pixel count highlighting any camera shake (I rarely use a tripod) and the nervous breakdown my laptop might suffer once i start uploading huge sized photographs.

My other option would be the D600 which would be more in line with the controls of the D5100 and the smaller size would come in handy however with the price difference only being around £300 am I stupid not getting the D800?

What are your thoughts?

SohoAperture's gear list:SohoAperture's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow