I'm ready to move to the Nikon FX line. Is the D4 image more nuanced and lively than the D800?

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Questions thread
KnightPhoto2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,376Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm ready to move to the Nikon FX line. Is the D4 image more nuanced and lively than the D800?
In reply to jps999, Nov 16, 2012

jps999 wrote:

Ah, thank you FTH to visiting my site and seeing what I'm trying to accomplish with a camera purchase. I've rented the D800 and used it on a wedding job and the files are just too large to efficiently get through the 2,000 images I normally shoot. So, that puts me in the market for a D600 or D4. Having worked for UPI with the top of the line Nikon film cameras I really appreciate the sturdiness and ergonomics of the top of the line. However, $6K is a lot of money for a D4 so before I pull the trigger on two new cameras I want to know if the images produced by the D4 are really worth the cash. It seems from the responses to my question the answer is no.

I'm thinking that buying a D700 on eBay may be the way to go. Thoughts?

-- hide signature --

John Santoro
San Francisco photographer
www.johnsantorophotography.com

Wait a sec., you are now changing the game completely from your original question

If the game is now, "Is D4 IQ better than D3/D700", then the answer is yes absolutely the D4 is better at both low ISO and high than the D3/D700 (and every ISO in between).

If the game is now, "Is D4 IQ better than D3S", then the answer is the D4 is better at low ISO and more or less tied at high ISO with the D3S.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/119002

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow