Here's a great, cheap, 100% waterproof case for G1X.......

Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,114Gear list
Like?
Here's a great, cheap, 100% waterproof case for G1X.......
Nov 16, 2012

Hi,

I just thought I'd share this.  There have been many G1X 'which camera case' threads, but I've not seen this solution from anyone else and I think it's a very good one - works for me...... Obviously it will also work for smaller cameras like the G12, etc.

I like to hike in remote areas with my cameras and sometimes that means tackling a day in the rain.  Sometimes even your pack can get wet in the interior.  Or you might be boating.....  I like to keep my camera in a waterproof case, but they aren't all suitable (depending on your gear).

I've found the brief case/clam-shell style Pelican cases and boxes work only if you can put them down on something to access their contents. They don't have a design which is purpose built to be worn over the shoulder and allow top access while hanging at waist level.

There is brand called Underwater Kinetics which is less well known but they do have a series of small top access boxes with strap lugs positioned to allow over the shoulder use.  I've found that the model 406 'Ultra Box' takes the G1X very neatly with a filter adapter, filter and 58mm DSLR lens cap.  It's very light and fully waterproof.  An additional advantage is that they are also much more bump and crush resistant than a fabric case.  Here's two photos below.  They are light and well made but inexpensive.  Black or safety yellow, with optional silicone rubber liner.  They can be found on-line or in outdoor and dive shops.  They come with a wrist strap, but I've replaced mine with a piece of 1" webbing from an outdoor shop to go over my shoulder.

Hope this is useful to someone.

Cheers, Rod

G1X fits neatly into UK 406 Ultra Box with room for spare battery

100% waterproof.  Hangs over shoulder and allows top access.

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Canon PowerShot G12
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow