Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
amd
amd
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?
Re: Macro Lens to shoot Jewelry....
In reply to anish_sha, Nov 16, 2012

anish_sha wrote:

Hi, I have a Canon 550D , I want to shoot close up jewelry ( comprises of diamonds and other gems) for digital media and magazines.... Which will be the best option to go for ...?

<snip>

My favorite lens is the 100L Macro. From an optics point of view there is nothing bad to say about the 100 non L, non USM Macro which I still have. However the new L appears to be sharper (perception, no scientific test done), and the colors are just a dream. I use it as my portrait lens as well on FF body. IS is very nice too, if you see a reuse beyond Macro.

If you are on a budget, the 100 non L has a very good reputation, and the used prices seem to be very reasonable. I would not get the old non USM if you need AF, because AF totally sucks on the old version, and it can not be serviced any more in most countries. Spend the extra money for the USM non L.

There is also a 60mm 2.8 Macro for the crop bodies getting very good reports. I can't offer any direct experience with this version though.

Good luck with your choice.

amd's gear list:amd's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow