ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hybert46
Contributing MemberPosts: 620Gear list
Like?
Weather sealing strategy from Oly?
Nov 16, 2012

Hi everyone,

The new oly 17mm f1.8 is looking great (I really don't care about the color being only silver). I love the snap focus mechanism on my 12mm and I am sure it will work well on the 17mm as well. The optical quality seems more than ok from the first reviews I read. But why o why is it not weather sealed? That is a real pity because with sealing it would have replaced the pana 20mm in a heartbeat.

If I am not wrong, we have only the 12-50 and the 60mm macro that are weather sealed. Well it is great to have these two lenses but what else can I put on my E-M5 when the weather is not so nice.

Ok the 12mm was introduced maybe too early and has no weather sealing, I can somehow accept that.  The 75mm was not sealed because it was targeted at studio shooting, ok... maybe. But I really  think that a 35mm equivalent with sealing would make a lot of sense.

Do you guys have any idea why we have no weather sealing with this new lens? Is it a technical issue? weather sealing and snap focus don't work well together? The lens would be too bulky?

Or is it a pure marketing strategy and they will introduce the weather sealed equivalent in 2 years so that we have to buy the lens twice?

Meanwhile I am stuck with the not so great 12-50mm (or the pana 12-35mm of course) if I want to shoot while it is slightly raining.Too bad...

Simon

-
Simon
Flickr favorites: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjkypfZu
E-M5, 7.5mm fisheye, 9-18mm, 12mm, 20mm, 45mm

hybert46's gear list:hybert46's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow