Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Contributing MemberPosts: 637Gear list
Weather sealing strategy from Oly?
Nov 16, 2012

Hi everyone,

The new oly 17mm f1.8 is looking great (I really don't care about the color being only silver). I love the snap focus mechanism on my 12mm and I am sure it will work well on the 17mm as well. The optical quality seems more than ok from the first reviews I read. But why o why is it not weather sealed? That is a real pity because with sealing it would have replaced the pana 20mm in a heartbeat.

If I am not wrong, we have only the 12-50 and the 60mm macro that are weather sealed. Well it is great to have these two lenses but what else can I put on my E-M5 when the weather is not so nice.

Ok the 12mm was introduced maybe too early and has no weather sealing, I can somehow accept that.  The 75mm was not sealed because it was targeted at studio shooting, ok... maybe. But I really  think that a 35mm equivalent with sealing would make a lot of sense.

Do you guys have any idea why we have no weather sealing with this new lens? Is it a technical issue? weather sealing and snap focus don't work well together? The lens would be too bulky?

Or is it a pure marketing strategy and they will introduce the weather sealed equivalent in 2 years so that we have to buy the lens twice?

Meanwhile I am stuck with the not so great 12-50mm (or the pana 12-35mm of course) if I want to shoot while it is slightly raining.Too bad...

Flickr favorites:
E-M5, 7.5mm fisheye, 9-18mm, 12mm, 20mm, 45mm

hybert46's gear list:hybert46's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow