Help please regarding color correction!

Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 17,609Gear list
Like?
Sadly more $$$ may be needed.
In reply to Bangers and Mash, Nov 16, 2012

Calibration works better with better screens, = more darn money.

The commonest screen is TN (twisted nematic) type because it is cheap to make and the contrast/saturation/colour appears to change as you move you head around, despite careful calibration.

The good ones are IPS (in plane switching) type and used to cost many times the price of the TN types, but luckily now I have seen LG brand IPS screens advertised for much more sensible prices.

The IPS screen stays with constant contrast/saturation/colour as you move your head around and also have a better colour gamut than the TN types. They are usually listed as "178 degrees viewing angle".

My various TN screens on notebooks in the house maybe can display 60% to 70% of the sRGB colour gamut, as long as your head is held square to the screen.

A decent (read expensive) thing I bought is the 24" Asus ProArt 1920x1200 IPS screen and will display practically 100% of the sRGB gamut plus make my E-PL1 look like a way better camera.

There's a big difference in the quality of the image displayed.

Monitors like that come with selectable profiles and do have a canned sRGB profile but of course proper calibration improves on that by varying degrees.

Keep saving those $$$$$.

Regards....... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow