Second camera D3200 or Sony NEX 5N oppinions appreciated

Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
steppenwolfer
Contributing MemberPosts: 777Gear list
Like?
Re: SELL D300s ASAP and buy both NEX 5N + d3200 Nikon
In reply to Josh Jones, Nov 16, 2012

Josh Jones wrote:

To steppenwolfer. What is your nikkor lens collection? This may play a big role in which body you purchase. If you have plenty of lenses that will work (currently defining as having AF ability, if thats a concern to you) and are small enough to persuade you to carry the camera in place of the D300S, then I would say go for it. If you just have a bunch of pro Nikkor/3rd party lenses, then I am not sure if a smaller body will really change your perception of the size that much. However, if you coupled the D3200 with a small prime, then you would have a much smaller camera (albeit, not pocketable unless you wear some big jackets, but it would fit nicely in a satchel). Regarding the Sony, I havent played with one in quite some time, so I am a little fuzzy on its details. A few things I remembered about it that were a little bothersome were a) no viewfinder (thats a big deal for me, I dont enjoy shooting from lcd screens often) b) no built in flash (every once in a while I am somewhere and need just a big of fill flash and dont want to carry my flash around at all times, or in your case, purchase a new one for a different system) c) I felt it was designed to be more of a point and shoot style camera and you have to dig into menus to change everything (another let down for someone coming from a camera that a quick access buttons to make changes on the fly) d) I would have to invest in another lens collection. With all that, I have seen many amazing shots taken by people on here with the Sony NEX system.

My current lens collection is:

Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED     
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G     
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)         
Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II

I am planning to sell Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED and Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR which will fund purchase of new 70-200 f4. I used 80-200mm f/2.8D less than it would deserve, becouse of its size and weight.

steppenwolfer's gear list:steppenwolfer's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow