Can I get this kind of DOF out of the 35mm 1.8 DX???

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,507Gear list
Like?
Re: Can I get this kind of DOF out of the 35mm 1.8 DX???
In reply to primeshooter, Nov 16, 2012

primeshooter wrote:

slimandy wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

slimandy wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

The problem them becomes the distortion of the subject (I'm going to assume is a person) when you get in close with a wide/normal lens. 35mm on DX is not great for tight shooting of people. I'd want to use at least a 50mm on DX.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

He doesn't want a tight portrait. Look at the example he posted in the opening post.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

But you don't really in all honestly know what he wants. He's used words like "I guess" and is asking are there any other techniques to get something like the photo. He doesn't understand framing to the same degree you do and I am sure he wouldn't be able to properly explain perspective so I think you are misled. He just want's a "Bokehilicious" shot. Some lenses will help him do this easier.

I've got a very good idea what he wants because he had the foresight to post a sample.

-- hide signature --

Well, we shall see about that if the OP ever returns to the thread. He is using the words dof to talk about blurring the background.

Yep, and he is aware he might be confused (he admits being a newbie) and that's why he posted a sample of what he wants to achieve. Thinking BG blur relies on shallow DOF alone is a common newbie error.

-- hide signature --

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow