Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 12,926Gear list
Like?
Re: May I be brutally honest?
In reply to Steve Throndson, Nov 16, 2012

Steve Throndson wrote:

brianj,

Some things can't be expressed in a photograph. To say what you want to say about the old Strand Theater, you may have to use another medium - how about writing? Write a story about how it's changed, but retained the magic in spite of that. Maybe a small boy goes though the theater doors and into a time warp to experience the Saturday matinee the way it used to be.

If you want people to like your photos, then Great Bustard's advice is appropriate - find out what they like and give it to them. Sunsets are good - and flowers with bees.

But another approach is to follow your instincts. Remember Vincent Van Gogh painted 900 works but only sold one in his lifetime. Remember Thelonius Monk, who couldn't get a gig because the club owner wanted music that people could dance to.

Here's a quote - it's about writing, but fits Photography well:

"​Write only what kicks you and keeps you overtime awake from sheer mad joy" . . . ​Jack Kerouac

Do some of your photos make you feel 'sheer mad joy'? Those are the ones to work on.

Yes, but they were in my BLOG about my trip around Australia in my campervan, I still get exhileration from reviewing them, but I doubt anyone else would.

I will keep doing what I enjoy, and some might be liked by others and some will not.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow