That's just a snapshot.

Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,012Gear list
Like?
Re: That's just a snapshot.
In reply to Draek, Nov 16, 2012

Draek wrote:

You're confusing the meaning of the word "story". For instance, look at any of Ansel Adams' famous photographs of Yellowstone. Do you see something "newsworthy" in them? I doubt it, those landscape features have been there for longer than all the people in this forum combined, and will probably remain there for just as long at the very least.

But then, well, that's the "story" they tell. Everytime I look at Ansel Adams' work, I *feel* his respect for the park, for each and every landscape feature he shot, processed and printed, his admiration for the majesty and the timelessness of their beauty.

Some people in this forum idolize Adams for how much he advanced the craft of photography, but while I am similarly grateful to him, particularly his Zone System, if his photographs gave me the same feeling I get from your average travel guide there's no way in hell I'd list him as one of my favorite photographers of all time.

Good points, and I forgot about this form of story in the OP.

So appplying this reasoning to my images:

I saw an old theatre that had been modernised yet the original theatre walls etc were still there behind the paint.  For me it was like someone had glitzed up a cathedral or Taj Mahal etc but the magic still shined through.

But others didn't see what I saw, so my images did not capture that or convey it, I think this is my failing and where I can try to improve.  Maybe you needed to have known this building for a long time like I have.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow