Switching from PC to Mac.. anything you wish you knew?

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,893
Like?
Re: Switching from PC to Mac.. anything you wish you knew?
In reply to Jacques Cornell, Nov 16, 2012

Majikthize wrote:

fucile wrote:

If you charge your laptop EVERY DAY (and I do) then a 1000 cycle battery will last less than three years. Do the math...

I did the math. If you're discharging and then charging 50% of the battery capacity every day, a 1000-cycle battery should last you over 5 years. That's because a cycle refers to full discharge and full charge, not just topping off. AND, that's not 5 years until it dies, it's 5 years until it retains only 80% of its original maximum capacity. I don't know about you, but 80% of a 7-hour battery is still plenty usable to me.

Do you really run your battery all the way down and then fully recharge it ´╗┐every day´╗┐?

Absolutely right. fucile did not respond to why my Mac maintains 98% battery health after over 100 cycles, or why the 2008-2009 MacBook Airs do [b]not[/b] have any kind of reputation for mass death of non-replaceable batteries since by his own math they are all due or overdue.

What might be true about his situation is that if he does do a complete discharge/recharge cycle every single day or close to it, that is known to be a killer condition for lithium-ion batteries (they prefer a shallow cycle), so if that's how his job requires him to use his battery he has no choice but to live with significantly shorter than average battery life, which would be unfortunate. But still unrepresentative of most users.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow