Started Oct 28, 2012 | Questions thread
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,668Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of buying D800: advice on lenses, CF cards, software etc
In reply to Robin Casady, Nov 16, 2012

Robin wrote:

I've not had that problem with old slow cards. The issue may come up with the latest large fast cards. The fastest card I have is the Sandisk 8GB Extreme CF memory card - UDMA 60MB/s 400x (SDCFX-008G-P61). The largest card I have is the SanDisk 16GB ULTRA CF Memory Card 30MB/s 200x (SDCFH-016G-A11). They both work fine.

Older 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB cards from Transend, Ridata, Lexar all work fine.

For SD cards, I picked up several

SanDisk Ultra 32 GB SDHC Class 10 Flash Memory Card 30MB/s SDSDU-032G-AFFP cards at $20 ea. for video and they work well.

I have an older Ridata CF 32 GB card. It works fine but sometimes is very slow at showing an image on the back LCD. It's an intermittent issue.

I also bought the fastest SDHC card, the "95 MB/s" Sandisk 64 GB. Same problem albeit not as long a wait.

So I decided to give the Lexar 1000x CF 64 GB card a chance. First time I use Lexar (apart from the Ridata all my previous cards were Sandisk) but it is the fastest card on a D800 according to Rob Galbraith's measurements and not by a small margin. Problem solved.

It's not like I've tried many cards but I can certainly attest that the Lexar is worth the expense for me.

Certainly for video I'd go for cheaper cards.

-- hide signature --

Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow