Voigtlander 90/3.5 or Nikkor 85/1.8G?

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,851
Like?
Re: Okay, then what lens has the m-factor in the 50-100 range?
In reply to Emil Varadi, Nov 16, 2012

Yea, I'd definitely classify the 24-70 as a working mans lens. It's subjectively a touch (just a touch) more romantic than the 85/1.8G, but not by a lot. It's really a lens I use a LOT, because in the studio I must have AF for what I do and I must have zoom flexibility for what I do and there is no way around that. I also like it for landscape since it doubles as my 28, 35, 50 and 60mm primes. Magical it's not, but critical to my personal usage, it is. Still - the price of an 85/1.4G is less than that of a 24-70, at least here in the states, last time I checked.... just sayin'...

As for the super expensive Zeiss 55 - no need here. I simply don't shoot at 50mm enough to justify it, and when I do, I'm never wide open or even near it. Perhaps if they introduced, in this new high performance series, a 24mm lens that was optically flawless at all distance ranges, I'd spend a great deal for it, but it would have to be a hell of a lens for 3 grand or more. Long term I'm thinking more and more of getting the 135 apo sonnar and the 21/2.8 distagon, once I get some funds together. Might take me a year or so to do. The D800E has radically changed the way I look at lenses now; I'm simply going to have to get more tools in the tool box, not necessarily for one being better than the other in an overall "this vs that" sense, but more that one tool might be better for a specific scenario I encounter than the other, and vice versa.

-m

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow