Started Nov 11, 2012 | Questions thread
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 4,200Gear list
Like?
Re: about changing apertures
In reply to NatalieS, Nov 15, 2012

NatalieS wrote:

BAK wrote:

You ask about the maximum aperture changing when you zoom.

No, not every lens. If you buy the really expenive zoom lenses, it does not happen.

In the Canon world, for instance, there's two models of 70-200 lenses where regadless of focal length, the maximum aperture if f4.

And there's two models where the maximum aperture at all focal lengths is f2.8.

Making a "fixed aperture" lens is complicated, so the prices climb.

And remember, once you start off with, say, f5.6 on a lens with an f3.5-5.6 range, and zoom, it will stay at f5.6.

Limburger, I love my 60D and highly recommend it! I've had it for over a year now but never played with Manual or AV mode. I was mostly stuck in TV mode.

BAK, you're absolutely right! When I set the f-stop to 5.6 and zoomed in it never changed! This seems to answer my question! Thank you very much

This is my next lens of my wishlist which I will probably end up buying around Xmas: http://www.adorama.com/SG816EOS.html

I got that 70-200 with f4 max aperture over the whole zoomrange BAK refers to, since it's not stabilized I use Tv mode often with this lens espescially at the longer end, no need to apoligize using Tv mode it's sometimes very handy!

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow