LCD problem on older Powershot - anyone know?

Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,423Gear list
Like?
LCD problem on older Powershot - anyone know?
Nov 15, 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to resurrect an old Powershot S60 bought in 2004 to give to my son for school trip.  (I'm reluctant to part with my G12 or G1X !:-D).  It hasn't been used for three years but was last working perfectly.  After charging the battery, a problem has emerged.........  The camera opens up and appears to operate OK.  The menus and functions work.  However, the LCD screen is very dark -  if you can see anything at all.  This is in both shooting and playback modes and all control modes including green setting 'auto'.  There appears to be nothing I can do to change it.  It's like there's no LCD gain.  I don't think it's the older batteries - the camera would just give the low battery warning and close down if the battery charge was too low.  That's not it.

Anyone know the possible cause?  And the fix?  Is LCD failure typical of older cameras?  I'm thinking that if it can't be fixed easily, then it's not worth sending to a repairer.  It's only 5mpx and although it was well featured and an expensive model at the time, it's no longer worth much at all.  The repair and any parts would cost more.  Just shows how digital technology evolves and becomes quickly obsolete.

Any help appreciated.  Thx.  Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +5 more
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon Coolpix S60
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow