nikon 80-200 f 2.8 or sigma 70-200 f2.8

Started Nov 15, 2012 | Questions thread
dwa1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,408
Like?
Re: Nikon 80-200 f 2.8 with latest 1.4TC - AF speed?
In reply to Alnitak, Nov 15, 2012

Alnitak wrote:

If your budget can handle it, I agree with the 70-200 VR1. It's optics are a tad better than the 80-200, it focuses faster and has VR.

(By the way, the camera does not slow down AF or the shutter speed with VR on as implied in another post; the secret is to engage the VR a half-sec or so before you activate the shutter to give it a chance to settle down, else the picture can soften a bit. I have done a lot of indoor sports with that lens, both with VR on and off. The VR is useful to reduce camera shake if you don't have a shutter speed of 1/FL or faster.)

I find the VR1 sharp even wide open, and the use of the 1.4x TC does not slow down AF. It is my favorite lens for indoor sports, plays, etc.

Thanks for the feedback Alnitak.

The reasoning for looking into the 80-200 + 1.4TC option is that I want to replace my 70-300 VR lens with a "fast glass" option. This will primarily be used for butterflies and various small birds. Since I've started shooting with my Sigma 150 f2.8 non-OS macro lens, I find it very hard to use my 70-300 VR. The Sigma 120-300 f2.8 OS is on my wish list but currently out-of-budget. As an affordable, interim solution, I am considering the 80-200 plus 1.4xTC combo. During the prime butterfly season, I shoot with 2 bodies. The Sigma 150 macro handles most of the subjects - close up and to about 8-10 feet away. The other body with the 70-300 VR handles everything else (as long as they don't get too close (MFD).

The new Nikon patent for a 55-300 f:2.8-4 FX zoom looks very appealing, but who knows if and when that may happen.

Wayne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow