Is it true that the Canon 6D can't Auto Focus in HD Video mode?

Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lemming51
Forum ProPosts: 12,649Gear list
Like?
Yep. But that's OK, IMHO.
In reply to DRarchitect, Nov 15, 2012

DRarchitect wrote:

I heard a rumor that the Canon 6D similar to the 5d MKII cant autofocus in HD Video. That can't be... If that is true Canon severely crippled the 6D.

Probably true. No mention of the "Hybrid CMOS AF" like the 650D.

I wouldn't exactly term that as "crippled" though. DSLR autofocus in video is in its infancy and still a work in progress. Canon decided it better to just pass at this point rather than add a system that's "not ready for prime-time." Instructive to read the D600 review here:

"As with the D800, contrast-detect AF is the only option available when shooting videos. It is not only slower than the camera's 'normal' phase-detection mode but lags significantly behind the contrast-detect AF performance of most mirrorless models we've seen. While we expect a performance dip as a result of having to use a contrast-detect AF system in movie mode, the lens' AF hunting is so prominent both visually and audibly in movie mode that we only recommend using AF when filming static subjects. Even then, you're much better served by acquiring focus before pressing the movie record button."

The current "state of the art" sounds pretty crippled to me.

YMMV

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow