Tokina AT-X 16-28mm F2.8 Pro FX or Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L?

Started Nov 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Qwntm
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,550Gear list
Like?
Re: Tokina AT-X 16-28mm F2.8 Pro FX or Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L?
In reply to JEHE, Nov 15, 2012

JEHE wrote:

SwampYankee wrote:

Just moved to FF and am missing my Tokina 11-16DX 2.8, a great wide angle zoom. I'd like to replace teh lens with a wide angle zoom. Advanced amateur not a pro. I'm deciding between a Tokina AT-X 16-28mm F2.8 Pro FX or Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L. The size of the Tokina doesn't matter much and my walk around is a 24-105L so the extra range of the Canon isn't necessary The Canon cost almost twice as much. Is it that much better than the Tokina?

thanks

I used the 16-35L for a few years, sold it, really missed the focal lenth, doubted between the Canon and the Tokina, decided to go for the Tokina.
Don't regret it. It is a lot cheaper than the Canon and at least as sharp. You may find the manual focus cluth annoying, and I noticed that in low light, using live view, the autofocus hunts more than the Canon. But distortion is less than with the Canon. So there are pro's and con's. If price is not an issue, and it is used mainly for landscapes where distortion does not matter that much, go for the Canon. If price is an issue, don't hesitate and buy the tokina. It is a great lens.
To answer your question: the Canon absolutely is not twice as good as the Tokina.

-- hide signature --

Jeroen

And Arnold Palmer is not tice as good a golfer as I am, heck he only beats my game by 15 strokes out of 100 so he's less than 15% better than me...

(Lol. I'm lying about the 100 stroke game actually, but it makes the point. )

-- hide signature --

Edward
www.youtube.com/photouniverse
www.edwardthomasart.com
www.pbase.com/edwardthomas

Qwntm's gear list:Qwntm's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 IIs Nikon D810 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow