Are Anti-Aliasing Filters still a necessity?

Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BobYIL
Contributing MemberPosts: 889
Like?
Are Anti-Aliasing Filters still a necessity?
Nov 15, 2012

Can we assume that at least some 10.000 D800E units being in use since roughly 6 months?  Well, add to this also some "ten-thousands" of Leica M8 and M9 units in hands since years if not also some APS-C models (Ricoh-GXR) too. I wonder what could be the percentage of the cases you have heard about the harmful effects of moire, aliasing, etc.?

Many of us seem to undermine the positive effects of the lack of the AA-filters; some even think "with a little move of the sharpness slider" the lost sharpness due to the filter can be regained. I personally do not believe it, for gaining back the lost sharpness should not be taken as recovering the lost resolution. Roger Cicala of Lensrentals once had stated:

"I also was able to grab a D800E long enough to test it at one focal length: since 100mm was set up, I tested the Zeiss 100 Makro planar.

There was, if anything, a bigger difference than I thought. On the D800 the lens had a maximum center / average resolution of 1091 / 1030. On the 800E it was 1250 / 1120. Now let me state I have no idea how much the AA filter is expected to effect MTF 50 resolution, but the difference surprised me."

I tend to believe that the lack of AA-filters contribute to the rendering of image in more than one way: Resolution could increase perhaps 10% however most of us are aware of the acutance and clarity of the digital MF pictures; the same could be said for digital Leica pictures too... IMHO, the D800E has certainly proved that a great deal of our concerns about moire were simply irrelevant.

Thanking in advance for your insightful comments.

Bob

-- hide signature --

BobYIL

Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow