Started Nov 15, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
POS Photo
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Nex 5R or Nex 6? Lenses?
Nov 15, 2012

I'm planning on waiting for the 16-50 pancake lens to purchase either of these. It is to be my first purchase of a camera past the point and shoot level. And with having done some research I've narrowed it down to these two. The Nex 5N is somewhat in play due to its low price right now, but I'm hoping that the Nex 5R and Nex 6 will be available to bundle with the 55-210 lens that is currently available.

My two main questions are...

Is the upgrade from the Nex 5R to the Nex 6 worth the higher price? (you can argue for the the Nex 5N too)

The lenses road map shows that a high magnification zoom lens should be coming soon (right?). Any news on that? Would it be in the range of a 55-210?

The Nex 6 with the (16-50) zoom lens is shipping now. Seems like the Nex 5R won't have it for a couple months. I'm not in a huge hurry to get one, as I'm trying to get the one I can make last for me.

Again, I'd be my first higher end camera so I'm not expecting to go crazy on accessories as price is something I'm watching. But I really want the best value for my money and a camera that will last for a few years.

And here are my opinions/concerns on some of the differentiating features. How does the new hybrid focusing compare to the old? WiFi seems nice, but hardly a key feature. I don't really feel the need to have a viewfinder. Touch screen would make things a little easier, but not a deal breaker. Build in flash sounds very nice though. Hot shoe sounds great, might end up getting a microphone as I do like to video record some things. Allow I haven't experienced it first hand only using point and shoot cameras, the dials upgraded from the 5N to the 6 seem like a big plus.

I've had a passion for making videos and have recently noticed how much just a photograph can capture an emotion or tell a story all by itself. So I'm excited to capture those truly amazing events or creating truly amazing photos from something that is more commonplace.

Thank you.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow