ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
autre_pensee
Regular MemberPosts: 174Gear list
Like?
Prime lenses
Nov 15, 2012

Hello Guys.

Given that the d7000 replacement doesnt seem to be coming out when i expected it (now...), I and given the entry price point of the 5200 (meaning a d7000 replacement will probably come in around 1500$....) I am just going to go with a D7000, even though the autofocus dilemma scares me a bit as i am not sure I will be able to identify whether there is an issue...

Anyhow, I was thinking  of taking the kit lens 18-105 as I've read its a great general purpose lens and I dont have the money for a 16-85...

I also wanted to get a fast lens for indoor portraiture (albeit not organized, just picture taking in indoor social settings). At first I was thinking of getting the 85mm 1.8G and then i read 50mm was better for portrait so I was thinking of getting the Nikkor 50mm f1.8G which I read was great. And just recently I read that you're better off with a 100+mm focal length.

So now I am totally confused.

My first question is why are most of the prime lenses at 35mm, 50mm or 85mm? Is there a significance to these focal lengths? I've read that 50mm is the eye angle of vue equivalent. Is that true?

My second question is which lens is best within reasonable price for what I want, i-e picture taking in indoor social settings with potential use when need of handheld outdoor low light photography?

Thanks all

-- hide signature --

SONY HX-100V

autre_pensee's gear list:autre_pensee's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow