Exposure compensation, How much?

Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lemming51
Forum ProPosts: 12,480Gear list
Like?
Which metering mode? ALO on?
In reply to sailaway78, Nov 15, 2012

sailaway78 wrote:

Does anyone else use exposure compensation full time. I understand that I need to use it for white or very dark subjects. But my T3 seems to require 2/3 to a full stop under, in order to get good exposures on shots that I would consider to have normal lighting.

If using Spot, Partial, or Centerweighted, then using EC is generally necessary when the metered subject is not mid-tone "gray". Evaluative attempts to analyze the scene and subject and will apply it's own measure of EC (but won't display the amount in the meter scale) rather than do simple averaging.

The Auto Lighting Optimizer (p. 107 of the T3/1100D instruction manual) tends to brighten scenes that don't need it (IMHO, YMMV). It doesn't directly affect metering or the exposure set, but is applied when writing the JPG file (and a flag set in the RAW file). It is set ON at "Standard" level by default. I'd turn it off.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow