Started Nov 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
KnightPhoto2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,346Gear list
Like?
Re: They had one camera....
In reply to AllOtherNamesTaken, Nov 15, 2012

AllOtherNamesTaken wrote:

5tve wrote:

User error how ? its not remotely complicated I would rate the possibility as close to zero

Well, you would think - but with some of the things I've read here, you cannot rule out anything.

What I meant by "user error" is that many people who think they have oil actually have dust, and dust could be caused by a careless lens change, poor shooting environment, telescoping zoom lenses, etc. Or maybe some people tried to clean their sensor, picked up oil from surrounding components, and accidentally put it on the sensor? Any number of things could be attributed to user error.

Take Thom Hogan's D800 complaint emails for example. Of the hundreds upon hundreds of emails he received for the left AF issue, he said fewer than 20% were legitimate. That gives you an idea of how much weight to put into these internet complaints. Nikon has stated less than 2% of D800's were affected by the left AF issue but a few minutes on the forums would have a newcomer believe that 90% of them had the issue, which obviously isn't the case. It's just how the internet works, everything becomes blown grossly out of proportion and it can be dangerous for new readers looking for information.

I agree whole heartedly with this post - should be required reading for forum dwellers.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/119002

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow