How do I get better Autofocus?

Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Vlad S
Senior MemberPosts: 3,119Gear list
Like?
Learn the technique
In reply to saywhathomie, Nov 15, 2012

saywhathomie wrote:

My videos have a lot of a movement away and towards the camera. I shoot review videos and have to bring the product close up and set it back down again. Trouble is, the camera keeps focusing on a small bit of the video instead of the whole scope (Like my old camcorder does).

The earlier posters already mentioned that manual focus is the way to go, but I think it will help you to know that the actual technique for changing the focus during filming is called "focus pull." Professional videographers and film makers might have a dedicated professional focus puller, but you can find some DIY tutorials for amateur DSLR users. There are all sorts of tricks, and it will save you some sanity if you reuse other people's experience. Here's one such tutorial, but you may search for more for moving subjects.

Vlad

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow