nikon 80-200 f 2.8 or sigma 70-200 f2.8

Started Nov 15, 2012 | Questions thread
Mac
Mac
Contributing MemberPosts: 831Gear list
Like?
Re: nikon 80-200 f 2.8 or sigma 70-200 f2.8
In reply to Windancer, Nov 15, 2012

No offense taken, not a problem.  To expand a little on my earlier response.

I bought a Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM about three years ago.  As others have stated, HSM means it has a high speed focusing motor built into the lens itself.  It did not have the OS / VR capability.  Believe I paid around $650 or so.  Very nice lens for the money.  What really impressed me was the AF speed and accuracy.  Sigma is light years ahead of Tamron in this regard.  Sharpness was more than OK but just never seemed to have that final "pop", if you know what I mean.  I would think that setting the D90 on continuous AF with this lens would be a fairly effective kit, both cost and perfomance, for shooting sports.

Shortly after acquiring the Sigma, I was fortunate to be in the right place at the right time to pick up a Nikon 80-200/2.8 AF-S from someone moving to Canon system.  Optically, the Nikon was in a different league, both sharpness and color rendition, so I sold the Sigma.  IMO, the various Nikon 80-200/2.8's have always set the bar for this class of zoom lens, thus my recommendation for the food photography.  Surprisingly, AF speed was about the same, which speaks highly for the Sigma.  This particular Nikon (the AF-S model) is known for its blazing fast AF (sometimes believe the lens AF torque can even cause camera shake!).

Just my two cents.

Mac's gear list:Mac's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow