after the rain

Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Vittorio Fracassi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,348Gear list
Like?
Re: after the rain
In reply to Bob Tullis, Nov 15, 2012

Hi Bob,

I hoped you would give a second look to the two images, thanks for doing so and for the kind words.    And also for giving me the opportunity to mention and to share something which goes on in my mind and that I believe you understand and master well.

It occurs with increasing frequency that when I take a picture it’s because of attraction: by the subject as it is and by what it could be.    The could be part, in the case of landscape or landscape with human artifacts, is an imaginary range of variations in time of day, season, perspective depth.

As a consequence the capture I make must be as RAW as possible, not just as a digital format, but because it must allow me to work on it.   Creativity is conditioned by age and habits so for me the post processing is limited to painting with various tools mostly to alter locally colour tones, contrast and brightness.    So that the final result can be smuggled as what my eyes saw(read: what my mind would have liked to see), rigorously low profile, as if it was straight out of camera and not the result of sometimes hours of work.

Which can encompass not only  variable PP workflows but when necessary and possible a second visit to the crime scene.   For the first one I had the Pan 20/1.7 on tripod and my shoes as you guessed were wet;  the second was through the Oly 45/1.8, handheld.   No HDR and no filters.

Regards,  Vittorio

PS. whilst writing I came across a possible explanation for the extra something that short teles do for landscapes: they add richness.   Many details of equal importance crowd the flattened two-dimensional scene. Wides may provide the same image but with a hierarchy of elements, caused by deep perspective, that’s why they tend to be weak and have recourse to dominant single objects in the fore-fore ground to make them interesting.

Vittorio Fracassi's gear list:Vittorio Fracassi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow