How do I get better Autofocus?

Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 17,569Gear list
Like?
Don't use it.
In reply to saywhathomie, Nov 15, 2012

saywhathomie wrote:

I just got a 14mm Panasonic lens for my GH2. However, I'm quite new to this and wanted to learn how to get more continuous/steady autofocus.

My videos have a lot of a movement away and towards the camera. I shoot review videos and have to bring the product close up and set it back down again. Trouble is, the camera keeps focusing on a small bit of the video instead of the whole scope (Like my old camcorder does). This results in the video constantly focusing/refocusing whenever I move my hands and it looks terrible. Sometimes it doesn't focus at all!

Is there any way to configure the autofocus to perform better? Any settings in the GH2 or techniques?

Thank you for reading.

Don't use auto focus.  If you are shooting a scene with a known depth of field.  Disable AF and use a fixed aperture sufficiently small to make the entire scene within  the selected DOF.  You might need to use lights if you need a small aperture.

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow