Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,145Gear list
Like?
Hey gang - here are a few comments about the Canon SX-50 HC
Nov 15, 2012

I know that many of you were curious as to what I thought about the Canon SX-50 HC. Well, I picked one up several days ago and put it through the mill at a location that can wreck havoc on many a camera sensor - Sunset Lake, Holly Springs, NC.

Rather than post the comments here, I posted them on the Canon Talk Forum. See my comments there at:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50292602

I'm loving both the P510 and the SX-50 HC.

What I love about the P510: Clarity/Definition of the photos, AF mode (except at full zoom), optionset, high ISO capabilities, and overall feel.

What I love about the Canon SX-50 HC: Color Tonality, sensor/color engine, metering, IS (even at full 1200 MM), RAW, and external hot shoe. I like the AF at full zoom - as it tends to find the target quicker than the P510.

Overall - the clarity/definition of the P510 shines big time - more so than any other enthusiast model or long-zoom model, but the metering and color balance of the Canon seems superior to me. Both camera files have lots of information in the images, but with the addition of RAW in the SX-50 HC, you're able to get more information out during the conversion process.

I'm keeping both as both have tremendous merit. For me, the RAW and external hot shoe are biggies. Gosh, it's nice now to have two great long zoom enthusiast models.  But there's no desiring one over the other here.  Both the P510 and SX-50 HC have lots of strong points.  I do wish, however, that Nikon (in the next release) will have a P510 replacement that includes RAW and an external hot shoe, as that would rule the roost.  The P510 is such a strong contender to begin with - just imagine adding those two options.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Sincerely,
Ben Herrmann
North Carolina

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Canon PowerShot G12 +25 more
Nikon Coolpix P510
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow