starter lens for nikon d7000

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Questions thread
AlexBakerPhotoz
Regular MemberPosts: 255Gear list
Like?
Re: I have to disagree on this one
In reply to kormendi_adam, Nov 15, 2012

I stand by my recommendation for an Amateur photographer who is looking to buy ONE lens ONLY, to start with. In my opinion, a medium zoom can be more satisfying than a prime because of its flexibility.  In low light, the D7000 has a build in flash that's just fine for a beginner indoors and the VR is also helpful (but not on a moving target).  As I said, I had both the 35mm 1.8 and the 16-85 DX VR. They are both great lenses, but a prime is always a prime, to advanced photographers that can be far more important that to an amateur and they use each prime focal length for different situations. For instance, taking head shot portraits with a 35mm lens, even on DX is distorted and puts you right in the face of your subject. No serious photographer would do that unless distortion is their intent. 85mm is great for portraits (about perfect on DX) and one of the reasons that lenses come in the length.  Folks here have a hard time helping other photographers save money, because we love the gear so much.

To truly save money, you might just get the kit lens or a nice used lens (or two) and then go from there.  I think the 16-85 is the best affordable mid-range DX lens Nikon has. If you are willing to give up VR, look for a used 18-135mm Nikon, that was a pretty good lens and should be available for around $200 in perfect shape used, the 18-105 VR is even better, but the 16-85 is the sharpest of the three, small and covers many situations.

-- hide signature --

Alex

AlexBakerPhotoz's gear list:AlexBakerPhotoz's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow