Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,809Gear list
Like?
LX7 and polarizers
Nov 15, 2012

I received my LX7 about three weeks ago. I purchased the DMW-FA1 filter adapter via eBay from Japan (a painless process BTW). Already having a B+W 37mm MRC circular polarizer for my Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, I attached it. I have two comments about that:

1. When fully screwed in to the filter adapter, the B+W filter rubs against the front of the lens collar, binding rather severly. I must slightly unscrew the filter in order to easily rotate it.
  2. The B+W, not being a slim filter, vignettes from 24mm to at least 50mm FOV and at all apertures. I did not try it at longer focal lengths when I observed the problem at wider angles.

I'm considering the recommended Panasonic DMW-LPLA37 since it is likely tested by Panasonic not to vignette on the LX7, as well as not bind. The Panasonic web site has it for $63 USD and claims to ship in 1 to 3 days. The product number implies this is a linear polarizer, but that's neither a problem nor an issue with compact and mirrorless cameras.

I'm also considering the Marumi 37mm DHG slim circular polarizer. It is circular and multi-coated. It is $49 USD on Amazon and ships immediately.

Does anyone else have comments about polarizers on the LX7? I have to say that I am quite impressed with my LX7 images with the B+W attached, vignetting and operational issues notwithstanding. Now I need a quality polarizer that works seamlessly with the LX7.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow