Serious Processing Power -Considering a new build in Spring 2013

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Chris Noble
Senior MemberPosts: 1,084Gear list
Like?
i7 won't get you there
In reply to Michael Firstlight, Nov 15, 2012

Michael Firstlight wrote:

I don't think I am so much processor bound or even DASD bound (you can tell fr om that I am an old mainframe hack), I do think I am almost entirely RAM bound. I can get upto 64GB some MOBs but I believe I'd have to move up to an XEON board to reach 128GB if the 64GB isn't enough, but I think something between 32GB and 64GB is where I'll probably max out and. The current SSDs and CPU are not taxed much.

Actually, you are compute I/O-bound. That is where the Xeon caching and I/O structure can help you. Piling accessories and huge amounts of memory onto a consumer-grade processor like an i7 will not give you much upside.

Xeon workstations are not much more expensive than the "high-end" i7 towers that hobbyists build, and their performance is much better.

Chris Noble's gear list:Chris Noble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow