Need advice for FF Lenses for A99 compared to these APS-C A77 lenses

Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Calico Jack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,879Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice for FF Lenses for A99 compared to these APS-C A77 lenses
In reply to Calico Jack, Nov 15, 2012

Calico Jack wrote:

I have APS-C lenses that work fine on my A850 as the camera has an APS-C setting which works at 11MP. As for FF equivalents, there isn't anything directly matching the 10-20mm short of a fisheye. For the short range, I used the following:

Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD (IF) Aspherical (or the Minolta version - same lens but older)

Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 Di XR LD (IF) Aspherical

-- hide signature --

Pirate!

This is the amended response:

I have APS-C lenses that work fine on my A850 as the camera has an APS-C setting which works at 11MP. As for FF equivalents, there isn't anything directly matching the 10-20mm short of a fisheye. For the short range, I used the following:

Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD (IF) Aspherical (or the Minolta version - same lens but older) or possibly the Tokina AF 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5

Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 Di XR LD (IF) Aspherical

Other options are the Sigma AF 12-24 F/4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical and Sigma AF 15-30 F/3.5-4.5 EX Aspherical.

Your intermediate 'do all' lens isn't a suitable optic as it's not actually good at anything.  You'd be better off with a Minolta AF 28-135mm F/4-4.5 Macro (Secret Handshake) which is essentially a G grade lens which produces superb results.  If you need something a little longer, I would suggest a 70-200mm F/2.8 (Sigma, Minolta or Tamron), but although not my lens of choice, possibly the Minolta AF 70-210mm F4 'Beercan', though this can suffer with CA and wouldn't be my lens of choice.  The Tamron SP AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD is possibly the best of the affordable tele-zoom lenses, though if you can find one, a Sigma AF 100-300mm F4 EX DG (IF) APO would be a better option, though if rice is a factor, the Tamron will be fine.

It'll depend on what you need as opposed to want, and that said, I'd recommend you get the very best lenses available else you'll be wasting the camera's capability.

-- hide signature --

Pirate!

--
Pirate!

Calico Jack's gear list:Calico Jack's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow