Cheap waterproof camera or GoPro Hero 3?

Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tetsumo
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
Cheap waterproof camera or GoPro Hero 3?
Nov 15, 2012

I´m going through a nightmare trying to find out what waterproof camera to buy. Almost all the better waterproof cameras on Amazon has a lot of bad ratings and lots of complains with leaking problems, even for experienced users.
Even with all the technology this cameras seem pretty fragile for underwater use, even following the instructions to the letter.
I have a Canon 5D III but I can´t spend 2000$ on a professional underwater case just for my vacations, nor risk it with a 70$ Dicapac case.
All the research and review reading I´ve been doing comes to the same conclusions, these waterproof compact cameras are not safe even for very light use. I´ts a sort of lottery if they will work or not.
The models I´ve been researching:
Panasonic Lumix TS20
Panasonic Lumix TS4
Nikon COOLPIX AW100
Canon PowerShot D10/D20
Fujifilm FinePix XP100
Pentax Optio WG-1
Olympus TG-1iHS
Olympus TG-820
Also, most of the models are very bad performers regarding lens aperture (the olympus TG-1iHS is the only one at f2.0)
And there´s the price, the best one, price / ratio option seems to be the Panasonic TS20 at 129$ but it has a very high failure rate even with very very light use (including pools)
Thats why I´ve been looking at the new GoPro Hero White Edition for 200$ comes with a waterproof case, is not such a great "camera" but it has a good photo and video quality underwater, very wide lens and f2.8 aperture. 
I´m really lost here, I´ll be glad hearing your recommendations with this issue
Thanks!

tetsumo's gear list:tetsumo's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +9 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow