Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
IdealCamera
Regular MemberPosts: 146Gear list
Like?
SEL 1018 Incompatible with PDAF
Nov 15, 2012

Earlier today I got the 10-18 from my local Sony store in Palo Alto. Put it on my 5r and discovered, after comparison with 18-55, that the lens does not work with PDAF. Not only does the lens hunt, but the silly little PDAF dots that you can turn on and off in the Setup menu don't show. In exactly the same circumstances, the dots show when using the 18-55, which also doesn't hunt.

I got on the horn with Sony customer support who confirmed that there currently is "no information" whether the 10-18 zoom is compatible with PDAF. Support guy was friendly and tried his best but was a bit mystified too. He promised his supervisor will call me tomorrow to follow up and confirm one way or another.

I'll keep you folks apprised. But picture this: Sony has "no information" whether their newest lens works with their newest camera. I've been more than happy with my original 5 since I got it in 2010, but, boy, is Sony skirting incompetence.

IdealCamera's gear list:IdealCamera's gear list
Leica M-E Typ 220 Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow