Started Nov 15, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SDsc0rch
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
1dx: hot pixels ---- lil help?
Nov 15, 2012

about ten days ago i took my 1dx down to coronado island to take photos of the san diego skyline in the late-evening/early-night

when i got home and looked at the photos, i noticed red and green dots in consistently the same place from photo to photo

hot pixels!

i found about a half dozen hot pixels ------ red and green mostly - "maybe" a blue one - but it might be above the horizon - the easiest to see are the red and green ones below the horizon (ie: "in the water")

unacceptable

i can't tell you how many long-exposures i've taken with my 7d - afterall, i got into photography while pursuing my hobby of astronomy - astronomy "observations" turned into astrophotography - i went from a t2i (never had a hot pixel) to the 7d (again, i've never seen a single hot pixel) and now i've expanded into action photography etc - and thus the 1dx - but i still want to do long-exposure photography and astrophotography

imagine my alarm then when, after having spent $6800 for a 1dx, i found "several" hot pixels in a relatively tame environment of landscape photography

and this is only after 20 and 30 seconds - WHAT am i going to see when i take this out for astronomy and expose for 5 and 10 MINUTES at a time?!?

so yes.. to irvine i go! (ie.. the canon service center in southern ca - only about an hour up the road from me - i'm in carlsbad ca)

i got it back via fedex this AM

and to coronado i returned this evening....

what i would like help with is this: i'd like the community here to take a look at the before and after pics of the san diego skyline - and tell me if there are any flaws or errors apparent in the images due to a flawed sensor

link to folder here - http://goo [dot] gl/NhY9m <<<< sorry! had to get by the filter! you'll need to manually "reconstruct" that URL to get to my shared dropbox folder

the 01_before folder has photos with hot pixels

the 02_after folder has the pictures i took this evening - after canon said they fixed it

here is what the "Service Details" from canon states...

==

"your product has been examined and it was found that the adjustment of the imaging sensor assembly was incorrect causing missing dots on the image. electrical adjustments were carried out on the imaging sensor assembly. product functions were confirmed"

==

what would you say? based on the photos i've taken (before and after) would you be satisfied with this repair?

should i take it back to canon and request a completely new sensor? (or.. camera?!?)

the images look good to me - but.. my eyes (and computer monitor!) aren't "teh best" --- i'd feel better if several people "out there on the internet" took a look at this and said yeah it looks good

and, if i've got a bad sensor and canon has just "turned off" the bad pixels (leaving black dots in their place?) - i would want to know!

i want (need!) GOOD photos from this camera

i paid for them

ps.. this is not the only place i've posted this - but i would like ppl from this community to take a look also

-- hide signature --

SDsc0rch
- Computer Repair
- Android enthusiast
- Obsessed with astronomy!
- gplus.to/EricLarson --- add me to your circles!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow