Film Photography Survey

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,271Gear list
Like?
Yes, basicly agree with you.
In reply to tex, Nov 15, 2012

tex wrote:

Sorry, perhaps it wasn't clear, I was really talking about 35mm and below.

I'd say that depends on your existing skills, the PITA bit that is. Expensive also depends on the format and its relation to digital formats. 35mm film is dead AFAIC. MF will be when digital MF gets down further in price---which is still going to be a while. LF? Nothing affordable on the horizon that I know about in digital that doesn't involve stitching----scanning backs being a different animal and not suitable for a lot of applications (and still not cheap!).

Now, when comparing the whole workflow of film vs digital, film is a PITA to use.

We are now spoiled:

- no more 36 shot limitation

- no more stuck with one ISO speed when shooting

- no more white balance problems

- instant gratification seconds after taking a shot

Film is expensive in that we would have to a) pay for each roll of film, b) pay to have each roll developed and c) pay to have the prints made.

With digital, the memory card is reuseable.  Images are downloaded to the computer for viewing, so no developing and printing costs.   We pay only for those few images we deem worthy of enlarging to make nice big prints.

Yes, 35mm film is dead for all practical purposes.

Medium format (digital) is also dead for everyone except the hardened professional.  Mainly due to very high entry costs.  Plus cameras like the D800 have now clearly stepped into MF IQ territory.

I just sold off my medium format digital and bought a Nikon D800E.  No regrets what-so-ever.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +39 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AlsoNew
NopeNew
TrueNew
DustNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow