Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pertgate01
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
Upgrade from 5D I (classic) to mark 2 vs Buy new L lens
Nov 15, 2012

Hi I am at the point where I want to try to upgrade my dslr equipment. I currently shoot with a Canon 5d mark 1/classic (12.8 MP) that was handed down to me. It is extremely clean and in great condition, and the neighbor who had it before me was a landscape shooter barely used the thing.
(He's also an investment banker working 80 hours a week so I know he had no time to take pictures).

I have used it for the past year and put maybe 7 to 8000 actuations on it and he told me he put about 3,000 so it is a fairly new camera.

Now that brand new mark 2's are selling for around $1500 to $1600, I am wondering if I should invest in a new mark 2 before they sell out. Because my 5d classic is in such great condition(without a single scratch and fresh black paint on hotshoe), I am thinking I could get around $700 for it. So I would be paying about $800 extra for a brand new mark 2.

or

I could invest in a telephoto L lens. I currently use the tamron 28-75mm zoom and canon 50mm f1.4 (which is practically glued to my camera). I am thinking of the canon 135mm f2L or the 70-200mm f2.8L. I would be buying them used of course.

or

I could make a crazy move and purchase a brand new fuji x100 which Ive been eyeing since its release.

I am into street photography. I live in an urban setting and the 135mm f2L would be for taking street portraits. The fuji x100 would be nice so I dont have to carry around my heavy dslr everywhere but it would overlap (somewhat) with the canon 50mm f1.4 in focal length. OR I could invest in a mark 2 but I would HATE to see it depreciate within the next year. My canon 5d classic is pretty much done depreciating so it wont make me as sad.

I am a 1st year dental student. Yes I am in the library all day, everyday. But I always carry my camera so I could take photos while I am outside taking a break, or walking home. This would be a lot of money for me since I am already like a bajillion dollars in debt. However, I like to destress this way. Right now I know what my heart wants, but I want to make the most rational decision....so ANY suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks!

Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow