Started Nov 12, 2012 | Questions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,506Gear list
Like?
Re: Studio Lighting setup
In reply to Bee Eye, Nov 15, 2012

Bee Eye wrote:

This is very helpful, thank you

I managed to get good shots at F/7.1 & shutter speed 1/250.

Any faster shutter speed is resulting in a black shadow that blacks out half the photo or even fully (the faster the shutter speed goes).. I thought this might be the shadow of the aperture ring? Is this normal?

No, it is not a shadow of the aperture ring, and yes it is normal.

What you are seeing is a shadow of the second shutter curtain.  The way the shutter works is that first one shutter curtain starts moving, then the second follows the first.  Below the sync speed the first shutter completely crosses in front of the sensor to fully expose it to light before the second shutter starts to move.  Above the sync speed the second shutter curtain starts moving before the first finishes, thus a moving slit crosses the sensor effectively reducing the amount of light striking any part of the sensor.

Normally I recommend using a 1/3 to 2/3 stop shutter speed than the sync speed given in the camera manual when using studio strobes.  This is because the flash from studio strobes can be slightly delayed when compared with the flash from hot-shoe flash units and the sync speed is really for hot-shoe flash units.  In your case I recommend you keep the shutter speed set to 1/200 sec. just to give you a safety margin.

If you want to use shutter speeds higher than the sync speed you should use a hot-shoe flash unit capable of high speed sync.  Instead of a single bright flash, when in high speed sync mode the flash will fire off thousands of low power flashes so that the entire sensor receives light as the shutter slit travels across the sensor.

-- hide signature --

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow