Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,963
Like?
Re: 2012 Mac mini Fusion Drive or SSD
In reply to Jeff Charles, Nov 15, 2012

Jeff Charles wrote:

Stu 5 wrote:

The difference is your system is spread over two drives that could fail instead of just one. You therefore increase the risk. Even with backups you are going to be up and running fully again like you were before quicker with either a SSD/standard drive combo or single drive than you would be with a FD. For a pro that is very important if you have deadlines to meet. It could be all the difference of making a deadline and keeping a client or not.

If the computer is mission critical, you should have an external clone that you can boot from. It doesn't matter if there's one physical drive in the computer or two.

I asked Bombich Software, the makers of Carbon Copy Cloner, if CCC could clone a Fusion Drive. Their response: "I don't think it will be a problem at all for CCC, CCC fully supports Apple's CoreStorage functionality and all of the data-moving bits happen at a pretty low level. We obviously won't know for sure, though, until those iMacs start shipping."

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Please proceed..."

Thank you for reinforcing my point. That's exactly what I was trying to say to him. While the risk is increased, that is the only difference from a professional's point of view. As I said, it doesn't really matter whether your primary storage is one drive, a Fusion, or a 4-drive Raid 0. You're already assuming there will be a failure and already have a near-line or online backup solution in place for that worst-case scenario.

The only difference with Fusion is that you're saying you want to allow a bit more risk than a single disk, a bit less risk than two spinning drives, and a lot less risk than a Raid 0. Fusion Drive is just another point along the risk spectrum, and it isn't even the worst alternative.

What does not change with Fusion Drive is the fact that you (hopefully) have a recovery plan in place in the form of an up-to-date backup, and because of that, using a Fusion drive will not "be all the difference of making a deadline and keeping a client or not." If things go south, the recovery sequence will be no different than if a single drive went down.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow