Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
SHood
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,020Gear list
Like?
Re: Serious Processing Power -Considering a new build in Spring 2013
In reply to malch, Nov 15, 2012

malch wrote:

Michael Firstlight wrote:

What am I doing that requires such power? I am frequently processing up to 120 36MP images into multi-Gigpixel composites.

RAM, RAM, RAM. Gobs of it will help more than anything.

However, do check out which of your software programs can make full use of it and ensure they are configured to do so.

Personally, I'm skeptical about RAIDing SSD's.

When you put HDD's in RAID 0, there's a big upside because of the parallel seeks and latency. Since there's (almost) no access delays with SSD's, the benefits are largely wiped out in most real-world applications. That which remains doesn't really justify the additional cost and complexity. Your specific processing may be an exception and derive some real advantage. But I have my doubts and I'd investigate it in detail rather than assume the money spent is really justified.

The one thing to keep an eye on is Disk Queue Depth.  I have seen it jump to 40 for both read and write with lightroom.  Once you get over a queue of 10 you will start noticing a difference with a RAID 0 setup.

In my RAID 0 setup using the Avnil Benchmark I am getting over 600mb/s for 4k random writes with a Queue Depth of 16.  The OP can check his write Queue depth when running certain tasks by running the Windows Perfmon and selecting Avg Queue Length counter under LogicalDisk.

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow