macro lens choices

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Calico Jack
Senior MemberPosts: 2,283Gear list
Like?
Re: macro lens choices
In reply to L R Harner, Nov 14, 2012

L R Harner wrote:

doing more reading about the new tamron it seems it shares the MFD of 11 inch but since the new USD macro in IF that woudl give way more working distance then the older 90mm

am i reading this right after all i want a longer macro for the extra working distance

Just go for the standard one as per the link provided.  The nearest to it I know of that's any good is the Minolta AF 100mm F/2.8 (D) Macro.  If cost is a factor, opt for the Cosina AF 100mm F/3.5 1:2 Macro.  It has a 1:1 adapter, but it's rubbish when fitted.  Best in 1:2 mode (I also have images taken with it posted on my Fluidr page URL provided in my last post).  The lens is cheap and nasty but the optics are sublime.  It comes in many guises such as Vivitar, Voightlander etc (see the Dyxum lens database for more info).  It's known as the 'plastic fantastic'.

You'll be safe with anything 90mm +.  As stated, anything smaller puts you far to close to your subject.  Forget lens stabilisation for a macro lens unless it's a dealbreaker for you.  If you've looked at my link, you'll see samples taken with the lens on A700.  It's a very special optic.

-- hide signature --

Pirate!

Calico Jack's gear list:Calico Jack's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Adobe Photoshop CS6 Topaz Adjust +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow