Why 'Stops' for exposure?

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Peter Jonas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003
Like?
Re: How it would work for me in practice
In reply to Mike CH, Nov 14, 2012

Mike CH wrote:

I just wonder where you are going to put those 4 dials or wheels? And make them easy workable while holding a camera with a largish lens?

Sorry Mike,

I was not quite clear about this.

In fact, personally I would would be happy with 3 dials, as I would always (well, most of the time) want the camera to control 1 the 4 parameters involved. I would prefer fully assignable and "clicked" dials, rather than smoothly rotating ones. With assignable stop values per click.

My Nikon DSLR has two, and that is the absolute minimum, but of course it does not have an EVF. The Sony NEX-7 has 3 dials and a good EVF, but the two main dials are not assignable, and the third one is not as handy as it could be if it was on the front.

Ideally, in terms of Nikon DSLR cameras I would like to have the third dial just next to the existing rear dial. That way it could be controlled by the thumb. It this sense it would be not unlike the Sony NEX-7. However, the NEX has the third dial also on the rear, and that is not very convenient.

It is somewhat off topic, but ideally I would lso like a focus point which is assignable to any area of the sensor by moving my thumb around a touch pad, which could even be to top right corner of the rear screen.

Some NEX models (and probably others) already have this feature but they don't have viewfinder. I am a viewfinder person. I use it whenever I can. Most DSLRs also have similar features, but the points do not cover the entire sensor (the Nikon D600 seems to be the most limited here), and the focus points can only be shifted one at a time using a four-way switch. If now I want to go from the centre focus point (always default) to say anywhere near one of the corners, I have to press the switch about 10 times, which I find terribly slow and most annoying.

Focusing using the centre focus point and recomposing is much faster, but really when you recompose after focusing you rotate the focus plane, and depending on how much you have to rotate it, your desired area will go out of focus. Also, later on you won't know where your inteneded focus point was. Thus, this is not really a satisfactory workaround.

Just ranting a bit.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow