A plea to Olympus: Exposure compenastion in manual mode on the E-M5 Locked

Started Nov 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
bcalkins
Regular MemberPosts: 337Gear list
I think it would be useful at times...but can work around it
In reply to rakore, Nov 14, 2012

rakore wrote:

I like to use the E-M5 in manual mode with auto ISO. It lets me control the two variables of the exposure triangle I'm most concerned about, and at the same time releaves me from having to factor in ISO as a third factor.

However, I haven't found a way to set exposure compensation on the E-M5 in this mode. I think Pentax allows it in its TAv mode (aperture and shutter mode), and I think some high end Nikons allow it too. This would be a very useful feature and should be doable with a firmware fix.

I agree that it would be useful, though you can work around the problem in most cases. To me, I typically want EC in manual when I am up against a few factors:

1. A minimum shutter speed is needed to prevent subject blur. I don't really care usually if it goes higher...

2. I'm usually in lower light situations, indoors, where the background and lighting may change quickly. If lighting isn't changing on my subject, then manual without Auto ISO is perfect, and can quickly be dialed in.

3. I usually want minimum depth of field.

Here are some ways I deal with these situations:

1. In aperture priority mode it uses the flash sync minimum setting as the preferred shutter speed. So provided auto ISO doesn't go out of range, you end up with the shutter speed you selected (only available up to 1/250), the aperture you selected, and auto ISO with EC.

2. In low light, if I want to shoot wide open, then shutter speed priority basically gets me the shutter speed I want, the aperture i want (it will always be wide open unless you get down to ISO200) and ISO can float with EC.

3. If you really want to get into the menus, you can shoot in manual with exposure adjustment set in the custom menus. This is a bit cumbersome, as you have to go into the menus to change the applied EC.

I think it might help to understand the situations you want to use this in, so people can relate how they handle that - rather than just dismissing Auto ISO in Manual as unecessary...

bcalkins's gear list:bcalkins's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow