Are you worried about the D800's build quality?

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
primeshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,205
Like?
Are you worried about the D800's build quality?
Nov 14, 2012

Mine is off at Nikon for repair - broken 10 pin socket ala pictures already seen on this site and a few others.

I know many of you upgrade every 4 years; I was hoping I could take this body further than that this time given what it has under the hood but something is niggling at me that it might not happen. I seriously hope I can but can't shake the feeling at present. Whilst it is off being repaired I asked Nikon UK if they had seen the issue before which they said they had not (fair enough). They said they would return it to factory spec which I was slightly worried about because if they repair this issue and it has an inherent design flaw returning it to spec just may mean it breaks again I will have zero confidence in this otherwise brilliant camera. I shot the D700 for over 4 years, not a single issue, worked every time, never as much as a stutter or incline of a failure. So far I've had a battery issue and now this daft 10 pin socket issue which suddenly happened to me out in the field.

Compared to the 700 - does this feel as well built to you - generally looking it over it seems okay to me but certain things not as good as the 700 perhaps? I seriously love this camera in principal but my confidence is shaken in it's build. I do appreciate manufacturing processes have bad units and some components just fail but I am wondering if it may reveal itself in the future to be severely lacking - but only in some silly areas such as this remote connection to the board behind it. I think that many more 10 pin terminals are waiting to fail but many don't use them.

I should summarize by saying of course, if you upgrade every 4 years you probably are not concerned re build quality; but it's not the point.

I hope it comes back fixed and I have no other problems, just needed to vent a little.

Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow