Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dholl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,121
Like?
D600: wait until Nikon fix sensor-dust & black-border issues
Nov 14, 2012

The great thing about the market now is that the cameras are so uniformly good, that we are able to differentiate them not on IQ, but on preferred features & price, and failing that we can eliminate those cameras on our shortlist based on one or two proven problems.

I was ready to save myself a few hundred Euros and get the D600 over the D800, but the many users here on this site (and, significantly, DPR themselves) have reported two issues which personally would bug the hell out of me:

- regular dust-spots: even DPR are moved to report this issue is far more prevalent on the D600 than any other current full-frame on the market. It will be too much frustrating time spent having to regularly clean a sensor (and pp out spots in Photoshop), a camera which in the year 2012 really should have an effective anti-dust system already.

- and again, we are forced to waste a huge amount of time editing our video to get rid of black borders which have no reason for being there.

Nikon may well feel that the above two issues are not faults, but rather they differentiate a cheaper product from its more expensive sibling (the D800 doesn't have the above issues). From a marketing-perspective this makes sense, as it's making me reconsider the more expensive D80 after all. On the other hand it's very risky, as it's also making me consider the Canon 6D.

I will wait until after the new year hits, if Nikon haven't offered improvements to these two key issues then I will again look at D800 vs 6D (the D800 beats the 5DIII for me). If the 6D is as good as the D600 except without the issues, and close in price, then I may not go Nikon after all.

I hope for us consumers Nikon fix these issues, as it will keep the market extremely competitive, and that ultimately gives us buyers choice and value for money.

Out of interest, how many of you have decided to buy the D600 in spite of the above two issues? What is your reasoning?

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Nikon D600 Nikon D80 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow