borgein
Regular MemberPosts: 462Gear list
Like?
Re: external viewfinder very useful with a 28
In reply to Artichoke, Nov 14, 2012

Artichoke wrote:

borgein wrote:

snip

Sadly the 0.68x finder of the M9/MM/M-E/M10 makes composing with the 28mm extremely difficult / impossible if you wear glasses. The frame lines go all the way out to each corner of the viewfinder so you basically have to look around to compose properly. Because of this I find that I will have to get a 35mm instead of a 28 simply because composing with the 28mm is nearly impossible (I wear glasses as well).

numerous viewfinders are available for this focal length

I rarely shoot my 28 without the viewfinder attached (the CV metal which is a honey)

switching between the two finders is a bit of a hassle, but quickly becomes second nature

no blockage with an external VF & you get a bit beyond the frame which is nice

-- hide signature --

pbase & dpreview supporter
DPR forum member since 5/2001
my PBase Galleries
"Avoid making a commotion, just as you wouldn’t stir up the water before fishing. Don’t use a flash out of respect for the natural lighting, even when there isn’t any. If these rules aren’t followed, the photographer becomes unbearably obtrusive" -- attributed to HCB

I'm well aware of external viewfinders. But I really hate using them, so they are not an alternative for me. The 0.58x viewfinder is the best on any Leica imho, and I wish it was available as a custom option atleast.

I think it's important that anyone who considers the 28mm on a M9/MM/M-E/M10 knows that they are basically forced to use a external VF to be able to compose quickly and correctly without having to look from corner to corner inside the viewfinder itself - even without glasses.

-- hide signature --
 borgein's gear list:borgein's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow