Questions Concerning Upgrade to Win 8

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
cheezit
Regular MemberPosts: 279
Like?
Re: Boot time is the only real improvement, get an SSD....
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Nov 14, 2012

Have you considered just doing a clean install of Win 7 instead?

Your Dell probably shipped with a Win 7 DVD. If not, another solution is to download the appropriate version of Windows 7 from digitalriver.com and burn the .iso to a DVD, and boot into it and go through the standard install procedure.

Then, look for the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) sticker on your PC that has a license key you can plug in to register it (you should see a sticker on your PC somewhere that has one) so that it doesn't stop working after xx days.

You'll find lots of forum posts with download links to these .iso files. Here's one example:

Just click on the New 3.1 version for Windows 7, then click on either 32 bit or 64 bit to download it (depending on the Windows version you have, which I assume is probably the 64 bit version of Win 7).

Basically, once you install isorecorder, you can browse for the .iso file you downloaded using windows explorer (the folders you see using "Computer"), which is probably in your download folder by default.

Then, when you "right click" on the Windows 7 .iso file you downloaded from digitalriver, you'll see a new menu choice labeled "Copy Image to CD/DVD", that will burn the .iso file to DVD for you so that it's bootable. Then, just follow the instructions in your drive's installation guide (first link in this post).

Jim, I took this route with a win 7 clean install and everything looking good so far.  Everything running faster except fo Lightroom 4 which I think remains the same.  Websites are loading amazingly fast also.

I thank you very much for all the help.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow