Best zoom for light weight travel?

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ADSinger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,704Gear list
Like?
Re: Oly 40-150mm....
In reply to Playapixie, Nov 14, 2012

Playapixie wrote:

40-150 is looking good, but since I shoot Panasonic and lack image stabilization in the body, am I going to miss that in a lens of this length? Needless to say, I'm also not hauling around a tripod.

-- hide signature --

I use the 40-150 on a Panasonic body. Would I rather have stabilization? Sure. But I find it fairly easy to handhold, especially up to about 100mm. In good light you can get a high enough shutter speed to avoid shake. Remember the old rule? Shoot at a shutter speed equal or greater than the effective focal length. So if you can get to 1/250 you're pretty much good to go. I generally have a mini tripod with me and can almost always find a place to use it for support. I have a Joby that permanently attaches to the tripod screw and folds flat against the baseplate. There are also the polymer Ultrapods which are very light and fit in the pocket. I find that the weight and size advantage of this lens outweighs the modest inconvenience.

alan.

-- hide signature --

www.MotoEuro.org

ADSinger's gear list:ADSinger's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow