Super Low-Light portraits with the Takumar 50/1.4

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Charlie Lab
Regular MemberPosts: 348Gear list
Like?
Re: Super Low-Light portraits with the Takumar 50/1.4
In reply to sean lancaster, Nov 14, 2012

sean lancaster wrote:

You have some terrific shots mixed in that sample.

I don't think of those shots and that scene as "super low light," though. Many of those shots are in lighting that I shoot daily. In fact, I'd call that regular indoor lighting found typical homes. Pushing your lens wide open (i.e., f/1.4) and still needing ISO 3,200 or 6,400 (or, taking darker images) is where I'd draw the line to get to super low light and that may even be generous.

I can't really disagree with you, Sean. "Low light" not "Super low light" indeed. In looking at the EXIF data, it's interesting to see how varied the lighting was. I also tried to capture the adults as they were near a light source, but since I was moving between some extremes of light with some fast-moving subjects, I fell back on auto-ISO to help (limited to 1600).

I am curious about your experience with wide apertures at very high ISO - I'm not happy with my results so far. I may try a longer lens to capture closer crops, and take advantage of the many pixels to compensate, or just shoot a little darker (i do use that trick sometimes)

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

If you take a great photograph, I really don't care whether it came from a Leica or smartphone. Just share it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow